A few weeks ago while we were visiting Taos, we had the most amazing dinner at a charming restaurant aptly named The Love Apple. Nestled in a chapel that’s over 100 years old, the Love Apple dishes out home-cooked, organic, clean cuisine using locally-sourced ingredients.
Everything we ordered was absolutely delicious from the potato and spring vegetable gnocchi to the juniper-infused, chocolate pot de creme. However, the lightness and freshness of Love Apple’s seasonal salad with honey dressing and warm goat cheese was my favorite.
I set out to capture the same simplicity and sunny vibes in this recipe for a summer salad with honey thyme vinaigrette.
Simple Summer Salad Base
5 oz fresh spring mix
2 fresh gala apples
1 cup fresh, whole blueberries
⅓ cup raw, chopped almonds, walnuts, or pecans (or chop your own)
4 oz crumbled goat cheese
Honey Thyme Vinaigrette
⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
3 tbsp raw honey
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp lime juice
1 tsp thyme
¼ tsp pink Himalayan sea salt
¼ tsp black pepper
1. Wash fruit and greens thoroughly. Place greens in a large bowl.
2. Slice the gala apples, removing seeds and core, then chop slices into fourths. Add chopped gala apples and whole blueberries to the bowl of greens.
3. Take chopped nuts, or carefully chop your own, and add to bowl of fruit and greens.
4. To prepare the Honey Thyme Vinaigrette, whisk all ingredients together in a cup or bowl until combined. Pour over the salad then toss several times to incorporate.
5. Plate salad and top with crumbled goat cheese to taste. I LOVE goat cheese and prefer a generous 1 oz or 1/4 cup per serving.